If you think ants are not a big pest problem, think again! These pests are small in size, but they are mighty! Ant infestation can happen quickly and can cause structural damage to your home.
Ants have a large range of species, totalling close to 12,000 in the world. From this number, 186 ant species live in Canada. The most common ants found in Canadian homes are the carpenter, odorous house, pharaoh, thief, and little black ants.
The first step to stopping ants from taking over is to start with in-home solutions. These can range from chemical sprays, chemical barrier treatments or non-chemical products. Non-chemical products can include natural gum resins and diatomaceous earth to help prevent entry. The list below can also help keep your home ant-free and prevent infestations from growing or spreading.
- Eliminate access to water and food for ants by using sealed containers for food storage, keeping refrigerators closed and kitchen areas clean.
- Clean floors and countertops often to ensure no crumbs or spills are left behind.
- Throw kitchen garbage away as often as possible and keep garbage containers empty.
- Look for exposed entry points in your home. Seal and repair any cracks found in the walls to prevent ants from entering.
- Cut and trim plants, bushes, and/or trees that touch your home. These plants can function as bridges for ants to enter.
- If you have encountered ant nests near your home, flood them repeatedly with water from your garden hose.
- Ants gather food to feed their colony members and their queen. You can use baits containing boric acid to poison them.
If you want to learn more ant prevention tips contact us at Advantage Pest Control. We offer a home protection plan to help keep your home free of ants and other pests too! Learn more about our services online or contact us today.