A preventative approach to a pest-free home is to manage your home or building throughout the year. During the colder months, it is more likely that pests are going to seek shelter indoors, especially rodents who want to find warmth. This means that your home could become a safe harbour for pests that typically don’t bother you the rest of the year. This may also be a busy time inside your home with guests visiting for the holiday season. It’s important to take preventative steps to safeguard your home against pests.
Block the Points of Entry!
There are different points of entry into your home where pests of various types and sizes can find access. Once they are inside your home, they can invite their friends and start colonizing in their favourite part of the house. By blocking the points of entry, you can be proactive in preventing a pest infestation.
- Seal the cracks and openings around doorways and windows. It takes only a small opening for bugs like roaches, ants, and spiders to enter these points.
- Seal any cracks or holes around the pipes that connect to your kitchen appliances and plumbing. This includes the pipes to the stove, sink, dishwasher, and refrigerator.
- Change air filters and clean vents for the HVAC system. This includes cleaning and sealing the hole where your dryer vent which collects lint is connected to an exhaust pipe, which conveys hot air to the outside of the home.
- Don’t leave doors or windows open for extended periods of time.
- Replace or repair damaged screens for all windows and doors. If exterior doors are not protected by a screen or a door with a rubber seal, you can add a weatherproof door. In warmer climates, this could be a storm door that will prevent the wind from blowing rain into the home.
Remember, bugs like cockroaches crave moisture, and rodents want warmth. Snakes, small animals, and birds could even seek access to homes when it’s really cold. Try the foregoing tips and others on our blog to keep your home pest-free and comfortable for your family members and guests this winter season. If you need to address a pest problem immediately, be sure to contact us at Advantage Pest Control in Toronto. Our pest control team services the GTA and surrounding areas too.