Earwigs are odd-looking insects, which have pincers protruding from the abdomen. These are somewhat daunting to look at, but they are not venomous, and they do not spread health problems.
Even though earwigs don’t cause harm to humans, it still has a negative impact on plants, and an infestation of earwigs in your house will definitely make every member of your family cringe. Below are useful tips that you can follow to avoid attracting earwigs to your garden and house.
- Earwigs love moisture. Therefore it is essential to get rid of moist areas in your house.
- Keep moisture-prone places dry all the time. You can use a dehumidifier for your basement.
- Keep your garden clean so that organic debris like branches and leaves are removed away from your home.
- Change your exterior lighting by directing it toward your house and by choosing yellow bulbs instead of light bulbs. Earwigs are more attracted to white lights.
- Modify landscaping by building a dry and clean border around the foundation wall of your house. The border will serve as a barrier against earwigs.
- Secure proper drainage such as gutters and downspouts to make sure they drain away from your house.
- Check entry points like crawl space vents. Repair the vents if necessary.
- Don’t decorate your garden with stones. Earwigs tend to hide under rocks and love dark and damp places.
- Cut branches and leaves that can cause shady and damp areas near the house.
- Vacuum and clean your house regularly.
Earwigs can infest various areas in your home. We recommend following the prevention tips above to prevent earwigs from coming into your house. If you’ve seen signs of earwig infestation, contact us at Advantage Pest Control as soon as possible. You can rely on us to take care of your pest problems in Toronto.
Leave a reply